The Early Days
The use of laboratory animals in the IMR could be traced back to as early as 1940's where these animal were used for diagnosis as well as research of such diseases as yellow fever, scrub typhus and rabies. This division was originally known as the Division of Animal House.
The Division Today
Since 1976, many changes have been made to the division to increase efficiency and productivity as well as to cater for the demand of the researchers in the institute as well as those in the various agencies under the Ministry of Health.
For the new millennium, the division is strengthening the management of laboratory animal cater to the rising expectation in the quality of animal used in research. The division also plans to strengthen its capabilities in various aspects of in vivo techniques such as pathology and to play a bigger role in research as part of the activities undertaken in the division.