The objectives of the Virology Unit are:
- To carry out research and development on viral diseases, development of reagents and rapid kits.
- To serve as a reference diagnostic centre for the government and private hospitals and pathology laboratories.
- To provide training and consultancy services on medical virology to Ministry of Health, local Universities and other local and international agencies.
- To evaluate diagnostic kits for the local market.
- To support Ministry of Health in outbreak investigations.
- To carry out disease surveillance to monitor viral diseases prevalent in Malaysia.
- To support Ministry of Health in the management of biothreats by developing diagnostic capacity and capability for the investigation of exotic and reemerging diseases.